Approximately 500 registrants participated in the Bosom Buddies’ 26th annual “One Step Closer to Help and Hope” 5K Walk/run 10K run, held Sat. Oct.13. Although they do not have the final figures on the amount raised, the 71 sponsors raised approximately $49,500.00. This does not include registration fees.
From their website: We are the Breast Cancer Support Group of Southwestern Colorado, aka Bosom Buddies, and we understand because we are breast cancer survivors.
We are here to help you deal with your diagnosis, your treatments, and the changes in your life that this disease brings to you and your family.
Find out more about what we do and who we are because, with us, you are one step closer to help and hope.
What We Do: Our mission welcomes women and men dealing with breast cancer by providing weekly group meetings, financial assistance, wigs and supplies, and emotional and practical support. We:
- Host a weekly support group for women and men dealing with breast cancer
- Provide financial assistance for mammograms and other breast cancer related medical expenses to underserved women and men in southwestern Colorado
- Help 70 to 100 women and men each year
- Make available hats, scarves, wigs, bras and prosthesis
- Award scholarships to the children of a parent or guardian diagnosed with breast cancer, and to breast cancer survivors who reside in southwestern Colorado
- Provide financial assistance for counseling services for children of women and men diagnosed with breast cancer